Great things are happening in our community!
On August 6th, the residents of Sedalia will have the opportunity to show their support for the Heckart Community Center by voting; first to remove the sunset clause from the city’s 1/2 cent capital improvement sales tax, now planned to sunset in 2026 and second, on a 1/8 cent sales tax that will fund the new construction. Both taxes will need to pass with a 50% majority yes vote in order for the Community Center project to move forward. A sales tax was chosen to fund the project because the entire community, including visitors to our city, will be able to use the facility.
The new Heckart Community Center would be a source of pride for our city, would help with retention and recruitment of new industry and jobs, attract new residents, bring in sporting and business events, and provide a place where we can all come together for health, recreation and fellowship.
Thanks to the generosity of local benefactor Sue Heckart, Sedalia now has the opportunity to build a place where we can all go to swim, workout, play, learn, meet and eat!
All it takes is a YES YES vote on August 6th!
The Heckart Community Center Benefits
- Better overall health of community members
- Higher level of discipline in youth
- Decrease in the crime rate, teen pregnancy rate and substance abuse
- Attract new businesses
- Positive impact on economic development in our city
- Create a more well-rounded and healthy community
- Attract sporting and business events
- Winter and year-long recreation
- New senior center to support seniors and deliver noon meals